The outdoor green was given to club in 1907 by Lord Desborough, whose name we retain to this day.
On 25th of July 1907 the club played its first game against High Wycombe with the result being 118:118. Since those early days the connection with High Wycombe has been resumed in our centenary year 2007 & the fixture continues today.
Over the years success at county & national level was achieved, and that same degree of success continues with the talented players we have today.
In 1965 the opportunity to acquire land from the adjacent “York Road Tennis Club” arose. The indoor club was built at a cost of £53,000. A generous gift of £15,000 was given by “Farmer Howard J. Burfitt”, a member of Desborough Bowling Club at the time. The building project was financed with £40,000 of borrowing, which included £25,000 being subscribed under debentures and the balance from our bankers at the time.
The steel framework is 159 feet long and nearly 113 feet wide. Construction was by Crendon Concrete Co.Ltd and a building of this size at the time was a rarity. The indoor green was officially opened on 15th October 1966, thus allowing local bowlers to bowl all the year round.
Over the years the location of the club, near to the town centre, has attracted the attention of developers, but usually nothing comes of it. However, in 2003 Tesco made an approach to relocate us, but alas it failed at the last moment before contracts were drawn up.
The redevelopment of Maidenhead town centre has long been the wish of the local authority and in 2010 there was a consultation with all interested parties as to the way forward.
For our part, we were in discussions with a local developer about moving to a more spacious site in maidenhead, but nothing is finalised yet. Our members have been kept informed as things happen.
This is an abbreviated version of the 2007 centenary book produced for the club, containing memories of how bowling was at Desborough. Desborough has played a full part in all aspects of county matters. The club has had its fair share of county champions, who have gone on the represent the county with honour at the national championships. We have often hosted county finals, competitions and matches on a green that remains the envy of many outdoors.
The original purpose of the club was ” to provide enjoyment through challenge, competition and companionship, which are the values we still adhere to today”